Obligation and Responsibilty of Patients
1. Know Rights. - The patient shall ensure that he/she knows and understands what the patients' rights are and shall exercise those rights responsibly and reasonably.
2. Provide Accurate and Complete Information. - The patient shall provide, to the best of his knowledge, accurate and complete information about all matters pertaining to his/her health, including medications and past or present medical problems to his/her health care provider.
3. Report Unexpected Health Changes. - It shall be the duty of every patient to report unexpected changes to his/her condition or symptoms, including pain, to a member of the health care team.
4. Understand Purpose and Cost of Treatment. - The patient shall ensure that he/she understands the purpose and cost of any proposed treatment or procedure before deciding to accept it.He/she shall notify the health care provider or practitioner if he/she does not understand any information about his/her care or treatment.The patient shall insist upon exptanations until adequately informed and consult with all relevant persons before reaching a decision.
5. Accept Consequences of Own Informed Consent. - The patient shall accept all the consequences of the patient's own informed consent.If he/she refuses treatment or do not follow the instructions or advice of the health care provider or practitioner, he/she must accept the consequences of his/her decision and thus relieve the health care provider or practitioner of any liability.
6. Settle Financial Obligations. - The patient shall ensure that financial obligations of his/her health care are fulfilled as promptly as possible, otherwise, he/she shall make appropriate arrangements to settle unpaid bills in the hospital and/or professional fees of the health care provider through post-dated checks or promissory notes or any similar medium.
7. Relation to Others. - The patient shall so conduct himself or herself so as not to interfere with the well-being or rights of other patients or providers of health care. He/she shall act in a considerate and cooperative manner, respect the rights and property of others and follow the policies and procedures of the health care establishment.
8. Exhaust Grievance Mechanism. - The patient shall first exhaust the grievance mechanism provided in this Act before filing any administrative or legal action.